IBM SPSS Statistics-Python Integration
No, Python is not a snake! Starting with version 14, it is possible to run Python Scripts synchronously with SPSS syntax files. This opens up many exciting opportunities.
Python is an Open Source interpreted, interactive, object-oriented language (see www.python.org). I bought and recommend Beginning Python, From Novice to Professional by Magnus Lie Hetland. The book is published by Apress and is available from Amazon.
In May 2007, I made a presentation in Prague on Python and GGRAPH, the related programs are in this page.
Index of Sample Python Scripts
Python scripts are broadly classified by purposes as follows:
Note: Files with a at the end were added or modified less than 30 days ago.
To err is human but ... some people are more human than others.
Sample Python scripts
- Command depends on existence of a var.sps
- Pass an argument to python.SPS
- Run macro only if there are cases.SPS (very useful to avoid runtime errors when dataset becomes empty as a result of SELECT IF or similar commands.)
- This tool greatly simplifies the writing of syntax to determine age-adjusted prevalence using SPSS Complex Sample Survey. Instructions, datasets, and sample results are all included in the following zip file: ageAdjusted.zip
The instructions acknowledges the contributions of those who gave Juan Albertorio, Art Kendall and myself a hand with the preparation of this python module and related documents.
- This ReadSampleXMLfile.py module reads and converts sample.xml into a sav file. You need to change the extension from .txt to .py once you have downloaded the module.
- Hide cell when less than n persons.SPS (Note: This file does not use Python, it will be relocated later)